These Year 8 Australian Civics and Citizenship Curriculum inquiry questions, content descriptions and achievement standards relate to the Year 8 unit of work.
Year 8 key inquiry questions
- What are the freedoms and responsibilities of citizens in Australia's democracy?
- How are laws made and applied in Australia?
Civics and citizenship content descriptions
Knowledge and understanding
Government and democracy
How citizens can participate in Australia's democracy, including use of the electoral system, contact with their elected representatives, use of lobby groups, and direct action (ACHCK062)
Laws and Citizens
How laws are made in Australia through parliaments (statutory law) and through the courts (common law) (ACHCK063)
Questioning and research
Develop a range of questions to investigate Australia's political and legal systems (ACHCS068)
Identify, gather and sort information and ideas from a range of sources (ACHCS069)
Analysis, synthesis and interpretation
Critically analyse information and ideas from a range of sources in relation to civics and citizenship topics and issues (ACHCS070)
Problem solving and decision making
Use democratic processes to reach consensus on a course of action relating to a civics or citizenship issue and plan for that action (ACHCS072)
Communication and reflection
Present evidence-based civics and citizenship arguments using subject-specific language (ACHCS073)
The following aspects of the Year 8 achievement standards are covered by this unit:
- Students explain features of Australia's democracy that enable active participation
- Students recognise different types of law in Australia and explain how laws are made.
- When researching, students develop a range of questions to investigate Australia's political and legal systems and critically analyse information gathered from different sources for relevance.
- When planning for action, students use democratic processes, and develop solutions to an issue.
- Students develop and present reasoned arguments on civics and citizenship issues using appropriate texts, subject-specific language and concepts.
View the entire achievement standards from the Year 8 civics and citizenship curriculum.
Source: Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA), downloaded from the Australian Curriculum website on 01/01/17. (curriculum version 8.3)
Note: All material identified by "AC" is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Australia (CC BY NC SA) licence. For all material licensed under this creative commons licence, you are free to:
- Share – copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format; and
- Adapt – remix, transform, and build upon the material, under the following terms:
- Attribution – You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- Non-Commercial – You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike – If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.