These Year 10 Australian Civics and Citizenship Curriculum inquiry questions, content descriptions and achievement standards relate to the Year 10 unit of work.
Year 10 inquiry questions
- How is Australia's democracy defined and shaped by the global context?
- How are government policies shaped by Australia's international legal obligations?
Civics and citizenship content descriptions
Knowledge and understanding
Government and democracy
The key features and values of Australia's system of government compared with at least ONE other system of government in the Asia region (ACHCK090)
The Australian Government's role and responsibilities at a global level, for example provision of foreign aid, peacekeeping, participation in international organisations and the United Nations (ACHCK091)
Laws and citizens
How Australia's international legal obligations shape Australian law and government policies, including in relation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples (ACHCK093)
Questioning and research
Develop, select and evaluate a range of questions to investigate Australia's political systems (ACHCS095)
Analysis, synthesis and interpretation
Critically evaluate information and ideas from a range of sources in relation to civics topics and issues (ACHCS097)
The following aspects of the Year 10 achievement standards are covered by this unit:
- Students compare and evaluate the key features and values of systems of government, and analyse the Australian Government's global roles and responsibilities.
- Students explain how Australia's international legal obligations influence law and government policy.
- When researching, students evaluate a range of questions to investigate Australia's political and critically analyse information gathered from different sources for relevance, reliability.
- When planning for action, students take account of multiple perspectives and ambiguities, use democratic processes, and negotiate solutions to an issue.
- Students use appropriate texts, subject-specific language and concepts.
View the entire achievement standards from the Year 10 civics and citizenship curriculum.
Source: Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA), downloaded from the Australian Curriculum website on 01/01/17. (curriculum version 8.3)
Note: All material identified by "AC" is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Australia (CC BY NC SA) licence. For all material licensed under this creative commons licence, you are free to:
- Share – copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format; and
- Adapt – remix, transform, and build upon the material, under the following terms:
- Attribution – You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- Non-Commercial – You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike – If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.